Monday, January 16, 2006

A Frugal Focus Saving Event - Long Distance Services

In a follow-up to an earlier post, I did the deed today, smiling to myself as the customer service rep tried in vain desperation to sell me something, anything, after making it clear I was turning my back on legacy long distance plans. Forever.

I'll try out a 10-10 service from now on, like 10-10-100 or 10-10-940. It seems really simple, you just dial this number before your call. No activation fees, block plans, service contracts, nada. They both offer $0.04/minute for calls in Canada (10-10-940 bills a two-minute minimum).

(Not so) ironically, these two companies each have agreements with Bell.

Total Annual Savings: Up to $94.80
What this means:
One month's hydro bill.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Canadian Capitalist said...

You may want to give Yak a shot. No monthly fees. 3.5 cents / minute to Canada & US. I have been with them for ages and the line quality is pretty good.

http://www.yak.ca

1/17/2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger Humble Investor said...

Thanks CC,

I looked them up and indeed they do seem to offer a better deal, and without any additional dialing details. Thanks!

1/17/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger The Frugal Canadian said...

You might also consider Win-tel. It offers 25cent per call anywhere in Canada and you can talk for as long as you like at any time of day: http://www.win-tel.ca/ldplans/index.htm

My parents use it and are pretty happy with it. If I had a land-line I'd be using it.

1/17/2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger Humble Investor said...

Interesting choices - thanks FC!

1/18/2006 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out hitcalls.com

Only in Toronto - but it's save me tons

3/02/2006 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

--------------------------
Disclaimer: These articles are for information only, and are not to be construed as financial advice, legal advice, or a solicitation to buy or sell securities.