Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Haircut - Saving and The Male Psyche

I've often mused that there are really only two types of hairstyles for men over the age of 30; the highschool haircut (meaning any style that that you or anyone you knew in high school ever enjoyed), or the 'I give up', also known as the 'I surrender'.

While the former is obvious, the latter is basically the ubiquitous, shortly cropped treatment for those in follicle recession. Sporting the 'I give up' is a signal that one has accepted the inevitable and has come to terms with their hair loss (and corresponding lack of hairstyle choice).

As a result, it is quite acceptable to joke with a guy about his hair(lessness) if he wears his 'I surrender' confidently. We never joke with a guy that still maintains a high school haircut despite the fact they should have given up years ago (think Michael Bolton circa mid-nineties). This would be damaging!

I've been able to cut my own 'I give up' for almost ten years now, using a standard Walmart-ish hair clipper set (these last about a year). Having become handy with the buzzers in university (I barbered for a few friends) I also cut my own boys hair now.

Estimating $12/haircut/month this also allows me to save about $432 annually in hair cut costs for me and my two young sons. Less the annual clipper set (~$40) and I'm still ahead about $390/year.

5 Comments:

Anonymous 0xcc said...

Good point. I cut my hair today (I gave up almost 15 years ago) and as I was getting ready to do it I realized that I should probably give Sam Spendalot the same hairstyle because I have no idea how much a haircut costs or how often those that haven't given up get one.

2/19/2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Humble Investor said...

If you do want to channel a little Captain Picard with Sam, you could average the clippers to calculate a monthly grooming cost i.e. $40 annually / 12 self-haircuts = $3.33 per month. Not bad :)

2/19/2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger The Bargain Queen said...

Not every male with an 'I give up' is bald! My husband's is motivated by having too much hair, rather than too little. I was inspired to write about this on my blog, if you have time for a quick read:
http://thebargainqueen.blogspot.com/2006/02/bairgain-haircuts-for-mr-bargain-queen.html

2/26/2006 1:28 AM  
Blogger Humble Investor said...

Certainly not Bargain Queen, you are quite right. As I commented on your post, the follicly challenged among us note such cases with pride and envy :)

2/26/2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a lot of very thick hair, and only feel comfortable if I can get it cut to a half inch long every 3 weeks. So I do it myself. I bought a decent quality Wahl at CT and 8+ years later it is still going strong. I don't get the comment about the clippers lasting only a year. Though money wasn't my motivation, I have probably saved over $2000 by now.

-Jim (44 yr old male)

7/05/2006 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

--------------------------
Disclaimer: These articles are for information only, and are not to be construed as financial advice, legal advice, or a solicitation to buy or sell securities.